Wednesday, June 13, 2012

HOW TO CONVINCE MY NEPHEW TO DRINK HIS VITAMINS


 I serve as a good example to my toddler-nephew. Since kids love to imitate what adults do, so I drink my vitamins too in front of him and told him to drink his too so both of us will be strong and can play all afternoon.

Sometimes, verbal explanation can not be fully absorbed by toddlers because their cognitive abilities are still limited. And my nephew does not understand well the true meaning of the words “strong and healthy”. So I work on his visual-sensory skills and emotions so he can capture the things I want him to learn. If he refuses to drink his vitamins, I will hold his toys and cars and will only give them to him after taking the dose. I show pictures of his favorite Disney characters and will tell him, “drink your vitamins and be strong and playful like barney and pooh!” Sometimes, I give him a hug or a clap to make him feel appreciated. Kind words like “wow”, “good” and “thank you” are essentials to motivate him to drink his vitamins faithfully. 

To enjoy the full potentials of vitamins, I do not mix them to my nephew’s drinks or juices. I am aware that the medicine might lose its potency and might sweep off potential benefits in achieving healthy body if I do so. Therefore, I let him drink the full dosage alone or the prescribe milligrams of tablet/capsule so the medicines will truly serve their purpose to my nephew’s physiological development. Sometimes, trying out different flavors of vitamins will help to break the monotony of taste. Toddlers love different flavors so I experiment and try what is the best taste to my nephew’s discrete taste buds.

As a general rule to win my nephew’s obedience, I display an open communication to him. I make him aware and understand that taking his vitamins is not a form of punishment like holding him down and forcibly open his mouth and shove in the tablet/syrup but rather it’s a pleasant reward that he should look forward too.  Since he is playful, I bring out too the childlike attitude within me to go down to his level. Thus, drinking his vitamins is just like having fun and an enjoyable thing to do rather than an obligation he is force to perform out of fear.




Note: This is my blog entry to TROPICEE Vitamin C blog writing contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment